June 25, 2013

All hail 'Yeezus', call it bad weather

I suppose I should first point out that yes, I am a Kanye fan, however, I am first and foremost a hip hop fan. This therefore means I am not in love with everything the man creates, the perfect example of this being 808's and Heartbreaks, an auto tuned moment of disaster in my opinion. This stance may suggest I am about to slate "Yeezus" for being so far out there different. In fact I really quite like it. It has had 5 full listens now and, whilst I don't love every track, this album is a winner.



It is most definitely a Marmite album for sure, the customer reviews on Google Play are testament to that, as are the comments on the You Tube upload of the album (You Tube Yeezus). Whilst everyone seems to have their own opinion on this release music is a very subjective topic and needs context. The context here is that the genre of music in which Kanye operates had been starting to stagnate. How then can people say an album that has stirred up so many opinions, both positive and negative, and caused so much discussion, is a flop? It worked, Kanye did his job effectively and that is why I like it.

My favourite track by some margin is 'Black Skinhead', the only track I can see being released as a single and one Radio One will possibly take up and play to death in the not so distant future. It's the drum beat that makes it, it's reminiscent of Marilyn Manson's intro to beautiful people which is a great track too. It may be because of tracks like this that people are calling the album 'dark', it is not dark, if you want to hear dark rap get a Necro album. This is frustration being vented and seemingly in a way to try to wind a few other people up in the process, and why not?

Popular music is becoming sterile with no-one allowed to say anything or do anything controversial anymore. Just look at how boring the Brit awards have got. Whatever happened to Liam Gallagher and Robbie Williams starting fights (albeit hand bags at dawn) or Jarvis Cocker's genius stage hijacking while Michael Jackson performed Earth Song?

Kanye is bringing controversy back to music, contradicting himself, producing beats that are off beat, winding up critics and rap fans is all good in my opinion. Anyone that suggests he has lost it and this is a confused, messed up album need only skip to track 3 subtly titled 'I am a God' ft. God. Who is the featuring artist? Kanye. Just screaming. He knows what he is doing and I for one congratulate him. Since debuting College Dropout you can never say he has stagnated despite many of his contemporaries have.

No comments:

Post a Comment